Tuesday, November 29, 2011

A Quilt to Remember



This weekend I finished a quilt for a musician friend of mine.  He was a rockin' bass player, and just an all around awesome guy.  He, and his girlfriend Diana, would come to my early gigs and support my efforts as I would play my guitar shaking with stage fright and fumbling for my fingers to find the right chords.  They both played in a larger, more well known band in town, so their showing up to my gig on an off night legitimized my music in a way... 

Jerry found out he had cancer all through his body and decided to go into home hospice.  I found out about a week later & ordered fabric to make him a quilt to comfort him until the end.

He passed before I could finish it.

Sunday, folks in my town threw a big bash for him on what would have been his birthday.  People donated items, musicians played, folks danced, and we all tried to commemorate Jerry in the best way we knew how- by having a good time.

I donated this quilt to Diana, as I intended for her to have it all along...  


Rock on, Jerry... Rock on.